Investing in You
Investing in yourself scholastically, physically, and spiritually helps you be the best you that you can be. As a result, you offer that best ‘recharged you’ to your students, which consequently helps them thrive.
From workshops and other presentations that focus on various forms of self-care to activities such as yoga and meditation, CASP’s 69th Annual Convention, “Investing in You = Investing in Students” offers a host of events to nourish you physically and soulfully.
Check back often to see what additional self-care activities CASP has planned to help you Invest in You.
Identify and avoid the symptoms of burnout:
- W-20: Compassion Fatigue and Vicarious Traumatization: What Every Psychologist Needs to Know to Support Their Personal and Professional Well Being, Saturday: 9:00AM-12:00PM
Practice meditation and learn why mindfulness is an effective form of intervention:
- W-18: Mini Retreat: Deepening Mindfulness Practice, Saturday: 1:30PM-4:30PM
Learn about the risk factors and warning signs of a variety of mental health challenges common among adolescents in this two-part, eight-hour course:
- W-41: Youth Mental Health First Aid, Friday: 2:00PM-6:00PM
Prepare for obstacles faced by early-career school psychologists:
- M-04: Top 10 Strategies for Survival and Success as a New School Psychologist, Thursday: 10:00AM-11:20AM
Obtain financial freedom by finding out what programs are available to you regarding student loan repayment and forgiveness plans:
- M-45: Student Loan Forgiveness: Know Where You Stand, Thursday: 10:00AM-11:30AM
Self-explore areas that may be contributing to stress within the profession and/or loss of career satisfaction:
- IA-01: Rediscovering the Joy: Maintaining Career Satisfaction in the School Psychology Profession through Self-Exploration, Thursday: 10:15AM-11:45AM
Learn about variables involving temperament, mindset, family and professional relationships as well as the extended community in shaping and reinforcing a resilient mindset:
- IA-02: Resilience Is Not Just for Students, Thursday: 10:15AM-11:45AM
Examine how new school psychologists manage to thrive despite stress and pressure in the early stages of their career:
- P-04: Young and Informed: Self-investment strategies of first year and veteran psychologists, Thursday: 11:00AM-11:50AM
Explore why self-care is so important to school psychology graduates:
- P-21: Self-Care: The “Preferential Seating” of Graduate Students, Thursday: 10:00AM-10:50AM
Learn strategies to support the well-being of teachers by identifying aspects of school contexts that contribute to it:
- P-03: Teachers’ Emotional Health Matters: Supporting Early Career Teachers’ Psychosocial Wellbeing, Thursday: 4:00PM-4:50PM
Examine cross-disciplinary recommendations that can create an inspiring atmosphere at work:
- P-17: Burnt-Out to Boundless: A Cross-Disciplinary Approach to Enriching Your Environment, Thursday: 4:00PM-4:50PM
Understand how psychology and behavior affect and contribute to our physical health:
- P-18: The Health Psychology of Self-Care, Friday: 9:30AM-10:20AM
Town Hall Meeting
A panel moderated by CASP President Dr. Brian Leung will take a look at how California’s students are being victimized and what schools can do to help end this horrendous practice in Convention Wednesday’s Town Hall Meeting: Human Trafficking and What Schools Can Do to Help Victims
Special Events and Activities
General Session will kick off the Convention’s opening day with a keynote address from Galt Joint Union Elementary School District Superintendent Dr. Karen Schauer, who will focus on the personalized learning and its significance.
Yoga Class with Michon Affinto will help you to tap into your inner nature in a soothing atmosphere on Thursday afternoon.
Fun Run/Walk with CASP colleagues for Friday morning rejuvenation.
Mindfulness Meditation Session will help you relax and become one with yourself on Friday morning.
CASP Exhibit Hall is the place to explore to find a job and find out about the latest in school psychology.
Awards Luncheon will honor the best in California school psychology.
CASP Alumni Club members will discuss legislative issues, promote school psychology and socialize at the home of club Chair Lynn Aung.
San Diego State University School Psychology Alumni Party, where SDSU alumni will catch up and join in the fun!
Student Reception, where students can socialize, kick back and relax.
All Association Reception Beer Tasting, Appetizers and Raffle. Relax, catch up with friends and taste some brews (yes, there will be wine, too) after the first full day of convention activities.
And see how strong you are by trying the climbing wall, at the Sunset Terrace on Thursday.